Friday 15 January 2010

Sweet Smelling Tangerine

I started a new job this week, above is one of the factories in Blackpool which I walk by every morning on the way to work. Many locals will know of this building, though as I am not from Blackpool originally, I know nothing about Tangerine Confectionery other than the sweet smells which waft up my nostrils as I pass. The smells had left me a little intrigued to be honest so I decided I would do a little digging when I got home to find out the secrets behind those large tainted glass windows.

About Tangerine... they are the largest sugar confectionary manufacturer in Europe with a turnover of around £150,000,000 a year. It has seven production sites across the UK, with it's head office right here in Blackpool. The Blackpool site was originally built for manufacturing tiles, but switched to an altogether tastier product line when George Burton set up his 'Gold Medal Biscuit' production here in 1939. In 1967, a liquorice unit was introduced, and in 1995 the site closed off production of biscuits altogether and started producing confectionary in earnest making some of the nation's favourites, Allsorts, Dolly Mixture, Gums and Jellies.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that all things are sweet smelling in Blackpool for a certain individual!

    ReplyDelete